Yes that is Tears For Fears in their early mod revival incarnation: Graduate
Looking a bit like Mick Talbot's first band, the one with that song that goes "a man ain't a man with a ticket in his hand... YOU NEED WHEELS"
Good Lord, there is documentation
I don't mind the opportunism / bandwagon-jumping thing in rock'n'pop at all - in fact I rather enjoy it
Musicians are fans, just like the rest of us - they get enthused by the New Thing
(of course they also want to make it - make money, have hits)
Fans are fickle and move on, critics are constantly jettisoning one thing and jumping to the next... so why shouldn't bands?
One thing I enjoyed in doing Still In A Dream is observing how nimbly the groups keep moving across the timespan of 1984-94.
The Soup Dragons are mimsy C86 types and then they go baggy with a Stones cover, "I'm Free", copping a move off the equally nimble Primal Scream
Teenage Fanclub, whose "roots" similarly lay in C86 cutesy tweepop (Boy Hairdressers, BMX Bandits), i.e. un-rock 'n' roll as it gets, suddenly start soloing like nobody's bizness on "Everything Flows" and A Catholic Education, taking their cue equally from Dinosaur Jr. and Neil Young.
There are groups who start out a bit C86, then pass through shoegaze, and then tack to the prevailing winds of Britpop
But you get it everywhere, in every era .... Phil Collins, in 1977, is drumming in the fusion band Brand X while also in Genesis... and then a few years later, as a solo artist, he's retro-souling ("You Can't Hurry Love") or contempo-funking (working with the Earth Wind and Fire horn section, duetting with Philip Bailey).
Sometimes it does feel slightly shameless, like "where is your aesthetic spine, your integrity, man?" - Gareth from The Pop Group, okay the jump to Rip Rig and Panic is logical, that's fine... but then Head? This relapse into raunch'n'roll is just too antithetical to previous form.
Yet sometimes the shamelessness - the naked lust to have a Hit Single- becomes its own kind of cool.
Like who on Earth would have imagined that progger Dave Stewart (Uriel, Egg, Hatfield and the North, National Health, Bruford) would team up with Barbara Gaskin (who similarly sang in various Canterbury Scene bands) and score a four-weeks-at-#1 hit with an 80s-synthpop rendering of "It's My Party"?
And either immediately before or immediately after, Stewart had another hit with a similar moderne rendering of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" with former-Zombie Colin Blunstone handling the vocals.....
We all need to make some bread, after all. Bills don't pay themselves.

The Soup Dragons now look like retired Serbian paramilitary fighters:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVXbRgSwLM&list=RDiqVXbRgSwLM&start_radio=1
Good Lord. Time takes its toll on all of us, I suppose. The 'tache is not a good move though.
DeleteI preferred the old rock star ageing protocol where they kept looking the same but progressively ever more wizened.
DeleteThis new protocol where they cartoonishly transmogrify into entirely different looking people is a real mark of decline.
David Johansen/Buster Poindexter comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteWhat was the bandwagon David J was jumping on though? I think he was just trying to reinvent himself, get out of a dead end, and did so with great success
DeleteOh I suppose it is a bit like the David Stewart/Barbara Gaskin move - taking a proven hit.
DeleteWell, I wasn’t bashing him exactly. Just commenting on the striking difference between Dave and Buster. Having seen the Scorsese documentary I know there’s a performance-art thread connecting the two personae, but as fun as Buster was in ‘87, Johansen did seem to be shamelessly courting the middle-brow MTV/Reaganite consumer. Is that a bandwagon?
DeleteProbably one of those chararcters who feels fame is his destiny, his true element - and okay one path to get there didn't pan out, let's try another. I don't know about Reaganite but it's definitely a bit postmodern-goes-middlebrow and characteristically Eighties as a move to have this showbiz persona. Like that Taco guy doing "Putting on the Ritz". Or even Kid Creole.
DeleteA few chapters into Still In A Dream (brilliant so far), I realize I can put the matter in terms the book lays out: after the electoral disappointments of the mid-80s, when Thatcher and Reagan victories reaffirmed their pernicious hold on the decade, it seems the response by some was to give up and join the party. In the mainstream, at least, people learned to stop worrying and love late capitalism. I can’t separate Buster from that period, unfair as it may be in light of his whole career and the obvious jokes at his own expense (in “Hot Hot Hot” one of the first things we see is SOLD OUT on a Buster concert flyposter).
DeleteCaptain Sensible - Happy Talk. And the Clash licensing Should I Stay or Should I Go for an ad isn't a million miles away (though what were the details behind that?)
ReplyDeleteBy the by, a signed copy of Still in a Dream with fanzine arrived in the post today, an early birthday present from a mate.
I think the Captain just thought he'd have a go at having a novelty hit, with his pals Dolly Mixture. Probably succeeded his wildest expectations. And then he had another novelty hit with the rapping song "Wot" - and another one after that too I think. But he never gave up the day job in the Damned, I don't think.
DeleteI remember reading in the music press him saying he'd already spent the entire advance he'd got for "Happy Talking" and the album. Captain unSensible. I was kind of in awe.
Nice one - happy birthday to you.
That Clash as thing was in 1991 when The Clash fandom was at a low ebb and BAD had run out of steam. I can see them thinking ‘Levi’s, fine’ and going for it.
DeleteAlso, there was a BAD song on the b-side so it did double duty.
Thinking about it there’s a strong possibility someone I used to know edited that ad so I could probably find out with a bit of effort.
Bowie's Let's Dance was avowedly commercial (but I don't see it as an artistic compromise, but rather the actual last great album of his imperial phase).
ReplyDeleteHe's also kind of doubling back to his Young Americans sound, in a way. He'd had commercial instincts and commercial high points before.
DeleteWhat about Marc Bolan? Before he died, wasn’t he trying to go after a younger audience with his TV show, touring with The Damned, and releasing singles like “Celebrate Summer”? Of the last, Bolan said, “'’Celebrate Summer' has a very definite new wave feel about it. If anyone thinks it is deliberate they are quite right. I know a good thing when I hear it, and am young enough to enjoy adrenalin-rush rock.” He didn’t quite get there, but a fully transformed Eighties Bolan going on a parallel MTV-track to Bowie would have been…quite something.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favourite "contrast of human types" moments is Bolan at his most sybaritic introducing The Jam at their most neat'n'neurotic:
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5gkJ424GE
He didn't change his sound though. Maybe he would have if he'd lived long enough. But I think too attached to the boogie, which is a musical property that punk expunges and new wave / postpunk even more so.
DeleteI think Bolan just was heartened by the fact that all these young bands were fans of his.